Welcome to the world of canine wellness! As devoted pet parents, ensuring the health and happiness of our furry companions is a top priority. In the realm of modern pet care, technology has paved the way for innovative solutions, and one such marvel is the dog activity monitor. These nifty devices not only keep tabs on your pup’s daily movements but also provide valuable insights into their fitness levels. In this guide, we’ve scoured the market to bring you the 5 Best Dog Activity Monitors. Let’s dive in and discover the perfect companion to keep your pup in the best shape of their life!
Most dog owners constantly worry about their dogs’ fitness and activity levels. If you are not one of them, dog activity monitors are of no use to you. On the other hand, an activity monitor can be a handy tool to keep in your arsenal if you are a busy person, as it helps to fully monitor your dog’s exercises and activities throughout the day.
It isn’t easy to constantly and consistently keep up with energetic puppies, nor is it easy to look after ageing dogs, so this helpful tool can assist you in maintaining your dog’s overall activity levels at the most optimal levels that are beneficial in the long run. Dog activity monitors will help you keep full track of your dogs exercise and activity throughout the day.
This wearable technology is an assistive tool to monitor the health and well-being of your four-legged companion without any hassle. Existing in the form of collar-gadgets or collar attachments, these activity trackers supervise the estimated time pets spend playing, walking and resting immobile. Moreover, some can even pinpoint their precise location at all times via GPS. More sophisticated specs include monitoring behaviours like scratching and shaking, bodily temperature, heart rates, etc.
Types of Dog Activity Monitors
Table of Contents
You have a few different options when it comes to the type of locator you want, and those too depend on your requirements.
- GPS: The global positioning system is suited for dogs prone to travel at higher speeds and venture out further away for longer distances. These operate with cellular signals, even requiring a separate service plan, but connect to apps and smartphones. The working radius of a GPS works at several hundred miles and is relatively pricier.
- Radio Frequency: An RF pet tracker is more suited to a toned-down pooch that won’t go off too far as the working radius is limited to a few several hundred feet. So this is more suited for owners who want to figure out if your pet has left the residential premises, but if it exceeds the radio frequency boundary, it’ll be impossible to track them.
Dog Activity Monitors: What To Look For?
The biggest benefit provided by dog monitors is helping pet parents critically observe changes in their dog’s activity over short and long term periods. Comparing baseline data over an extended period is unbelievably valuable, particularly in catching early-onset health and behavioural variations. It’s essential that you pick the activity monitor, and therefore, the way is provided below lists exactly what you need to look out for:
When it comes to nursing your dog’s health, you want to be as accurate as you can be; therefore, results from questionable algorithmic processes are going to be detrimental rather than helpful. The more accurate the device, the more money you’ll be required to spend as this requires technological sophistication. Accurate devices will be more up-to-date and quicker to report problems, so it’s worth the extra spending.
Ease of use
Apart from how easy it should be to attach the activity monitor onto the collar or hanging attachment, ease of use pertains to gadget-friendliness. This means the application synced with the device shouldn’t be a head-scratcher. You should be able to become accustomed to and understand the data provided and its purpose. This also means there should be minimal swiping, a user-friendly and easy to process information that doesn’t require a health expert consultation to decode for you.
Waterproof and Durable
Dogs are spirited creatures, bouncing all over the place with adrenaline, so rough play is a factor to consider. More often than not, dog monitors are expensive, and they should be able to withstand the test of time and exposure to harsh environmental elements. Durability and waterproofing are essential as dogs roam around outdoors and jump in puddles and mess around.
Having Bluetooth connectivity can be a major benefit as it follows a device-device communication pattern that’ll help identify who your dog is with and if they’re still within range. For example, if your kid has a device synced up with the dog activity monitor, you’ll know when to be worried about either the child or the dog wandering off.
If you can get prompt warnings regarding the conception of potential health conditions, then you will save quite a lot in veterinarian bills. Initially, spending a little more on a dog activity monitor that will provide you with relevant information that’ll help regulate healthy physiological levels in your dog will prove to be a long-term success strategy.
An abundance of health and veterinary parameters provides exceptional feedback to pet parents and delivers a clearer explanation of what exactly is going on. Logging onto the smartphone app may let you observe elevated heart rates or blood pressure levels but won’t tell you if this is usual or not. Health tracking comes in to track health and give you a better perspective.
Management applications authorise you to see detailed information measured by the dog activity monitor. More importantly, it allows you to be able to track that information over quite some time, comprehend it, and use the information to improve your dog’s quality of life. The integration option even notifies you with a premature warning for harmful disease acquisition. An app is the most important tool in the dog activity monitor equation and therefore the compatibility should be on point.
- Some may also have messengers and to-do lists available that will allow you to share, collaborate and create a pet caretaker community that’ll keep everyone in the loop.
- Progress trackers may be included, and these monitor activity levels on a more detailed level.
- Goal-setting capabilities are an interesting add-on as these work in a proactive monitor to deliver the healthiest lifestyle possible.
Both GPS and RF depend upon the establishment of a clear line of sight in order to set up clear communication between the base unit and the receiving unit.
5 Incredible Dog Activity Monitors
The Whistle 3 GPS Pet Tracker and Activity Monitor is a must-have product for concerned pet parents as it provides a detailed report on exactly what your pups get up to. You get the most bang for your buck because it is an all-in-one innovative gadget that grants you many liberties.
The features packed into its matte grey frame range from being able to set pet-safe custom zones using Wi-Fi and getting proactive quick alerts that’ll keep you on your toes and reassured of your dog’s safety. The highly advanced GPS and cellular technology let you pin down your pet’s location anywhere within America via AT&T, all you will need to do is get a monthly subscription plan, a Wi-Fi network initially to kick start the instalment process and set safe-zones, and an Apple IOS10, or Android 5.0 or later.
Once you’ve got these down attach it to any collar or harness up to 1” wide and start receiving texts or in-app, email notifications once your pet gets going. The part is 24-hour monitoring and awareness of fellow companions’ presence. The health insight provides you with a comparison to check their bodily specifications with other similar dogs. For up to 7-days you will have non-stop access and you can even set custom activity goals whilst tracking their progress.
- Tracks location, distance travelled, rest duration, etc.
- Detailed setup and usage instructions provided.
- Very durable product.
- Waterproof and shockproof.
- Has a mobile alert.
- A custom safe place set up.
- Nationwide location tracking.
- Lightweight and portable 0.96oz.
- 24/7 real-time tracking.
- 2-hour fast charge ability.
- Works well on GPS, Wi-Fi, and cellular technologies.
- Inconspicuous design won’t alert kidnappers it is a tracker.
- Personalized pet profile.
- 10-15ft accuracy.
- 90-day money-back guarantee.
- Expensive product.
- The short battery life of 7-days.
- Requires recharge every few days.
- A monthly subscription plan of $6.95 is required.
- Wi-Fi connection required.
- It cannot be used on a dog lighter than 8lbs.
- Only available in the USA.
- Location history deleted after 24 hours.
Highly credible owing to its 10-time award-winning GPS system, the Tagg GPS pet Tracker by Whistle relies mostly on orbiting satellites to determine the precise location of your furry buddy. Available in grey and white curved design mimicking a watch, this device comes jam-packed with utilitarian features that will serve the high demands most caretakers have.
The Tagg GPS pet tracker is a unique app for iPhone and Android users that provides a convenient stay-in-touch mechanism. This app includes alerts, locating your pet on the map, driving directions to their present location and monitoring health levels with daily tracking. The activity tracking option provides a useful learning curve that’ll keep you well-informed and lets you even share this information for consultation. There’s a one-time activation fee.
The pre-installed tracker checks the location once every 12 mins in the safe-zone mode. The location information can be updated increasingly frequently in the tracking mode.
- Lightweight and easy to carry at 1.12oz.
- It can be used to formulate pet-safe zones.
- Automatic push notifications.
- Interactive map.
- Compact and aesthetically pleasing design.
- Compatible with most types of collars.
- Waterproof and made with reliable material proven to be highly durable.
- Power saving mode.
- 90-day money-back guarantee.
- Provided clips and straps attach easily.
- The rechargeable battery lasts up to 7 days.
- Accurate within 25ft with a 95% confidence level.
- Not appropriate for dogs under 10lbs.
- Expensive price tag.
- Requires a subscription to Verizon.
- Reportedly inefficient customer service.
- Average battery-life span.
- Fitting issues in that it falls off easily.
- 3-5 minute delays in tracking ability.
- Infrequent location updates.
- Not shockproof.
Link AKC Smart Dog Collar is a tool more oriented towards more productive uses such as training dogs. This functionally aesthetic collar was crafted by LINK AKC, a Connecticut-based company founded in 2015 specialising in tech products designed to cater to pet needs. They’re highly reputable, winning the CES Innovation award even.
The organic contours and naturally curved leather collar easily fit the silhouette of our dog. You have the freedom to choose between classic leather and sports collar. It’s a one-stop-shop experience as it covers GPS location tracking, vet record storage, activity levels adventure recording and sharing feature, temperature alerts that’ll warn you if your dog is uncomfortable and a remote turn-on LED for safety, a sound feature for training, etc.
- Lightweight and functional at 4.80z.
- A detailed user manual was provided.
- Battery charge alerts.
- Alert within 3-5 minutes when the safe zone is breached.
- The remote light setting for easier tracking.
- Good after-sales service.
- It can create safe zones.
- Rugged material can survive extreme conditions.
- Waterproof for up to 3ft for 30 mins.
- GPS, WIFI, Bluetooth and cellular service compatible.
- The app can link up to 10 collars.
- Simple to set up and use.
- Available in a variety of sizes for a lot of dog breeds.
- 3-month free service provided.
- Light, sound and temperature alerts.
- Vet and health record options are available.
- Built-in speakers are controlled via the app.
- The extensive range of land and water.
- Heavier than other listed products.
- Battery life lasts only 3 days.
- Lasts for 1 day on a cellular signal.
- Lasts for 4 hours on GPS setting.
- More battery drain in lost-mode
- It can only be used in the USA.
- Requires monthly subscription
Fitbark has dedicated its time and efforts and committed to providing a fitness-friendly device for pet parents and dogs alike. This creative little device looks into daily activates and turns them into Bark points to track the progress. This market-leading device ticks all the right boxes and will be highly appreciated by pet caretakers. It’s available in 5 different colours
- Cute, compact and lightweight 0.32oz
- iOs, Android, and Web-compatible.
- Free app and no monthly fees required
- 14-day battery life.
- Affordable pricing.
- Easy to understand activity information.
- Social platform Dog Board is fun, interactive and informative.
- Instantly connects to all Bluetooth devices.
- Customized health goals.
- No Wi-Fi.
- Difficult to synchronise data.
- Not as waterproof as advertised
- Not a GPS pet tracker.
- Issues with reliability and hardiness as reports that it dries quickly
If you’re looking into a motivational platform with abundant insight opportunities into your dog’s physical performance. Then the Fitbark 2 Dog Activity Monitor is the purchase for you. You can track all activities 24/7 including sleep quality, calories burned, distance, etc. You can invite trainers and vets to carefully monitor your dog’s health and follow the Fitbark health index.
- The impressive 6-month battery life of lithium-ion polymer.
- 90 minute charging time.
- It can charge without removing the unit.
- 100 days of min-min memory storage.
- 3-axis accelerometer.
- LED indicator lights.
- Rugged polycarbonate is shockproof.
- Works worldwide.
- No monthly fees.
- Free Android and iPhone app.
- Waterproof rated IP67 up to 1m for 30 mins.
- The hourly view helps oversee anxiety levels.
- It provides much more information than any other product.
- Lightweight 0.32oz.
- Able to rank your own dog vs similar breeds.
- Can link human health apps including Apple Watch, Fitbit, Jawbone and Google Fit.
- No GPS sensor.
- Short communication range.
Unleashing Canine Wellness: Our Top Picks for Dog Activity Monitors!
As we conclude our exploration into the realm of dog activity monitors, it’s clear that these devices are more than just gadgets – they’re partners in your pup’s well-being journey. From tracking daily steps to monitoring sleep patterns, the 5 Best Dog Activity Monitors have proven to be indispensable tools for pet parents committed to their furry friends’ fitness. Remember, a healthy pup is a happy pup! Invest in one of these monitors, and embark on a journey of wellness and joy with your canine companion. Here’s to many more adventures and tail-wagging moments!
Pet Parents have every right to want to invest in the health and well-being of their loved member of the family, dog babies. Whether your purpose is fitness oriented and involves getting your pup more active and to maintain or lose healthy weight if you’re a busy individual who needs the reassurance that their dog is making the most productive use of their time.
If your dog is a victim of anxiety and you want to monitor their calmness levels, their sleep patterns, mobility, destructive behaviours, medical conditions or post-surgery upkeep, dog monitors can be a priceless asset. Just be sure to consider all the buying factors we’ve listed and know that these products have been suggested in an unbiased manner to thoroughly educate you.