How to use a halti lead? Training your dog to walk on a loose lead with the Halti Training Lead will take a lot of time and patience but is definitely worth the effort. Once full training, your dog walker will be more comfortable for you and will ultimately be a much more enjoyable time for your dog. Below are some halti training lead instructions that will help you on your way when training your dog to stop pulling.
A halti training lead is the perfect readymade training lead invented by Dr. Roger Mugford. This lead is made from a soft material that provides comfort and keeps the dog’s neck safe from injuries. Two trigger hooks are given to the lead for different uses. However, following the Halti Training Lead instructions could be a bit hard.
Dogs find pulling on the lead a successful behavior; they want to get to where they want to go more quickly. The most suitable way to get around this is not to punish your dog but to make it an unsuccessful task for your dog. Choosing a great Harness to help stop pulling is one step toward this.
The second that Halti has helped create is an essential guide on following the Halti Training Lead Instructions. In the end, you may be able to use a standard lead/harness for your dog walks, but starting with a Halti Training Lead is an excellent way of teaching your dog not to pull. Following the below Halti Training Lead Instructions will quickly get you on your way to a tremendously successful dog walk but first, check out the Halti Training Lead below;
Halti Training Lead RED or BLACK Small/Large
Table of Contents
The number 1 best-selling training lead on Amazon. The Halti Training Lead is a fantastic, multi-functional lead that is made to last, with users stating that they have had the same lead for several years with little to no signs of wear and tear. If used with the Halti Head Collar or Halti Harness, this is when you will see the perfect results possible, quicker than usual.
Suitable for Adults and Young Dogs, this durable, easy-to-use lead does the trick. The lead comes in 3 sizes, from Small to Large, and is suitable for all dogs. Whether training to stop pulling or whether you want a comfortable lead, the Halti Training Lead will do the trick.
|Size||Chest measurement – cm||Breed Examples|
|Medium||57-95cm||Golden Retriever/Border Collie|
The Halti Training Lead is also a double-ended lead allowing you to walk two dogs in one. This helps if you already have a trained dog as you can quickly attach the two dogs, and when calling the trained dog, they will lead the untrained dog in the right direction. You can use the lead in various ways to aid training. Check out the below Halti Training Lead Instructions that show just how to train your dog;
Halti Training Lead Instructions
- The First and Perfect place to start is getting your dog used to wearing a Halti Head Collar / Halti Harness. Using the Halti Training Lead with these Halti products makes like much more accessible.
- Attach the Halti Training Lead clip to the Halti lead ring, then the more oversized clip to your dog’s collar. The Halti Training Lead has been specially manufactured with lightweight rings and clips to ensure easy use and durability in training your dog.
- If your dog gets very excited at the site of a lead, then you have little chance to stop your dog from pulling. Show the dog the Training Lead several times throughout the day. Get them used to seeing the lead, and then when they are calm at the site of the lead, take them on their walk. This will prevent the dog from being too excited on the walk and stop that pulling.
- Using the Halti Training Lead Instructions above, attach the lead and Halti. If your dog instantly gets excited, try dropping the lead and ignoring them. When they have calmed down, pick it back up and proceed to the door (assuming it stays calm). This teaches your dog that remaining calm will prevent any delays in walking time.
- The Halti Training Lead can be used on either dog’s side, whichever you are most comfortable with. The 2 points of attachment maximize the control you have.
- Use two hands to extend your lead to a comfortable length. Keep short so that your ability to control your dog. The hand nearest you should hold the collar, and the other should control the Halti.
- When you begin to walk forwards, should your dog pull, gently turn the Halti towards you or pull on the collar. This will add additional control to get your dog to stop/brake. The two sets of control help you decide how your dog should be and control the walk comfortably.
- Always praise your dog if they walk a short distance without pulling or walking away. This will help your dog understand what is right and wrong. Remember, rewards for your dog help in all aspects of training.
- These initial Halti Training Lead Instructions will start your training journey. These first few steps should be repeated every time you walk your dog. It may take several days, but you will soon see a change in your dog’s behaviour when you walk.
- Once you feel comfortable and confident that your dog is now walking without pulling, it’s time for phase 2. Change to the first ‘D’ Ring no the Halti Training Lead and continue your walk.
- If your dog pulls, gently apply pressure to the collar and rerelease the lead. Once the lead is slack, continue and repeat until your dog understands.
- If your dog is struggling at this stage and is continuing to pull, restart the Halti Training Lead Instructions from Step 1.
Over time you may be able to remove the Halti Training Lead entirely and stick to using a standard dog lead. The Halti Training Lead is a great accessory for training and will quickly help you on your dog walks.