How to Teach Your Dog To Roll Over? All love a well-mannered dog. This mannerism does not come easy. It would be good if you taught your pooch about it. There are simple commands like sit, lie down, stay and a little advance command like “rollover” that you want to teach your favourite dog. In this post, we will discuss today the various tricks and tips to make your pet roll over easily. This trick is very simple, impressive and is quite easy to teach. If your dog understands the basic commands, this exercise becomes much easier.
How to Teach Your Dog to Roll Over?- Check Tips
Table of Contents
Try training your dog with a reward technique, and with practice, your friend will pick up this roll overtrick in no time.
1. Setting Up The Trick
Make sure that your dog understands the command like “lie down”. This is the first step, and the full movement depends on your canine lying down. If your dog does not obey or respond to this simple command, you need to teach him this first.
• Begin working with your puppy on a delicate surface like a pooch bed, blanket cover or grass to enable him to build confidence. Then ask your dog to sit. With your canine in this position, take a treat between your fingers and allow him to take a lick. Don’t be in a hurry as you might confuse him.
• After this, slowly put down your hand to the ground. Make sure he follows and understands your instructions till now.
• Repeat this exercise a few times in a row.
2. The Advanced Stage Of This Trick
Now repeat the full trick mentioned above, but this time without a treat in your hand. Observe their movements and stretching positions minutely. Start adding the spoken word “down” when your dog hits the ground completely. Give your puppy some time to register this word. You may repeat this for some more time.
3. The Final Stage Of The Trick
With your dog lying in this position, move your hand slowly from his nose to his shoulder, preferably with a treat this time. Allow them to follow the treat. By following the treat the dog should end up leaning on the side to get it, and:
• Do not give the treat when they are completely in this position because the exercise is not yet completed. Make sure they completely understand this position.
• Now slowly try to lure him back by moving the treat past his shoulder and going towards the floor.
• Repeat this exercise by moving your hand from your dog’s nose, then towards his shoulder and then towards the floor. Now add the verbal word “rollover” simultaneously while performing this work. Make sure they follow this final command and then reward them.
• Practice well for perfection.
Have your puppy sit. Hold a treat in one hand and show it to your puppy. Close your fist over the treat so the puppy can’t get it. This is all you can do to teach your dog to roll over without a doubt. Happy Training!
Hope this article seemed informative to you. When you’ve achieved this goal, gradually start pulling your hand back toward yourself until your pooch stretches into a collapsed position. Mark this position and release the treat to him. What about some hesitant dogs who would lift their butt when doing this exercise? No need to worry. Just break down this exercise a little bit and go slow.