Read More Information Here
We have firsthand experience of how sensitive our feet can be, which is why the first thing we do in the morning is slip into socks or shoes. One of the most unpleasant feelings is accidentally stepping barefoot on something extremely hot or cold or something that is sharp enough to break the skin.
Now you can definitely understand the predicament our dear dogs face with their bare paws roaming around the outdoors unprotected, exposed to the wild and all that nature has. Dog boots for Winter are also a great protection for your doggies feet along with our winter protection tips.
For most pet owners, paw protection isn’t even something that crosses their minds. Dog paw Balm provides just that. Our reflexive thought process dictates that animals have natural protection against nature and that their bodies can withstand all that Mother Nature throws at them.
As pet parents, it is our responsibility to ensure that we provide our fur babies with the highest quality and standard of living. No one wants to see their dog limping or wincing in pain and therefore there are certain adaptations we can make to avoid such mishaps. Keep reading to find out how to make you and your dog happy!
- 1 Review on the Best Dog Paw Balms
- 1.1 1 Max and Neo Paw and Nose Balm with Calendula
- 1.2 2 Pet Head Oatmeal Paw Butter:
- 1.3 3 Fur Goodness Sake Dog Paw Balm and Paw Soother:
- 1.4 4 4-Legger Certified Organic Nose and Paw Pad Healing Balm:
- 1.5 5 Pawstruck Organic Nose and Paw Wax Balm for Dogs:
- 1.6 6 Musher’s Secret Pet Paw Protection Wax:
- 1.7 7 Paw Nectar Organic and Natural Paw Wax Heals and Repairs Damaged Dog Paws:
- 1.8 8 VetPro Natural Vet Formulated Nose and Paw Balm Wax for Dogs:
- 2 What is Dog Paw Balm
- 3 Types of Dog Paw Balms:
- 4 Why do you need to invest in dog paw balm
- 5 Buying Guide for Dog Paw Balm:
- 6 The Origins Of Dry And Cracked Dog Paw Pads:
- 7 Preventative tips and tricks against paw injury to keep your dog’s paws in tiptop shape:
- 8 The right application method:
- 9 Conclusion:
Review on the Best Dog Paw Balms
Much like us, the exposed parts of our furry companions’ paws and nose can become worryingly dry and chapped. Max and Neo have come up with an eco-friendly and dog-friendly product that services the needs of our dogs. Named after their own dogs’ Neo and Max, the owner, Hwang has personal, hands-on experience with dogs. He uses this information to craft the best products that he can. Their headquarters are located in Scottsdale Arizona, where they manufacture all their products using high-quality controls and high-grade raw materials. Their highly ethical practice involves a donation of over $4 million dollars to more than 2500 rescues in the USA.
Their Paw and Nose Balm with Calendula boasts the ability to moisturize, heal, soothe and improve dry noses and cracked paws. This product, in particular, has received an overwhelmingly positive feedback rate from customers. The ingredients included in the tin are Calendula Oil, Coconut Oil, Beeswax, Vitamin E, Avocado Oil, and Shea Butter. Interestingly the star of the show would be the Calendula Oil that is extracted from the Marigold species of flowering plants. Imbued with impressive healing abilities it is known to accelerate the healing process immensely.
Lightweight and portable
Slightly expensive as compared to other brands.
We’ve said it once and it’s worth mentioning again, that opting for the most natural products is the best decision you’ll make for you and your pet family. Maintaining good health, hygiene, and dog grooming standards is a specialty of The Company of Animals. Dating back to 1979 Dr. Roger Mugford, who is now a world-renowned animal psychologist, established this reputable brand.
Oatmeal Paw balm nourishes and soothes your fur baby’s dry paws that are cracked. The 2.4oz container includes ingredients like shea butter, olive oil, mango, oatmeal, vitamins F and E, coconut oil, jojoba, aloe Vera, and essential fatty acids to make sure that the paws remain super smooth. Their formula incorporates a blend of pH balanced, human grade paw butter. The aforementioned is free of petroleum and DEA, so it is safe for your dog to lick and consume.
Roughened paws are seen to be instantly more velvety and softer after the first application. You will observe a definite improvement after regular, sustained use. The primary drive for this brand has always been to develop innovative products that help pet owners and their pet children find an enriched life and improve overall animal welfare.
Highly budget-friendly pricing.
Fruity smell too tempting, makes dogs lick it off.
If you’re in search of a credible, and highly verified product than your quest ends right here. Fur Goodness Sake Dog Paw Balm and Paw Soother are considered a revolutionary concoction that has been designed by veterinarians. Far ahead of ordinary creams, lotions, and wax products, this formula provides rapid, in-depth penetration. It comes equipped with the ability to heal wounds and reduce inflammation whilst ensuring that the nose and paw retain adequate levels of moisture.
Manufacturers invested extreme efforts to formulate this balm the very same trio combination that is commonly found in products that are produced by high-end cosmetic brands like Sephora and Ulta. They have laced it with an Abyssinian oil, which was imported from Ethiopia, bamboo extract Vitamin K, Vitamins A, kale extract and Vitamin C.
This water-based serum works instantaneously to patch up wounds, ease inflammation, and assist your dog’s paws and nose in retaining satisfactory moisture levels even if they are always drifting outdoors.
Immediate relief and long-lasting protection against dry and damaged paws.
Dogs find the scent and taste appealing and lick it off. It requires a lot of reapplying.
If you want to get the most value for your money then 4-Legger’s Certified Organic Nose and Paw Pad Healing Balm is the best candidate. Its Healing Balm is made up of potent healing herbal constituents including calendula, natural moisturizers like shea butter, hemp oil, and beeswax for conditioning, repairing skin issues, scar reduction, nourishing and protecting your dog’s paws naturally without any additional irritation.
Also included in this mixture are rosemary, St. John’s wort extract, and vitamin E to help appease any irritants that are lodged within your dog’s sensitive paw pads. 4-Legger specifically utilizes organic beeswax in order to form a strong barrier atop your dog’s skin. This will help to shield them from the external environment and to help preserve ample moisture.
As a bonus feature, this balm can also be used as a sunscreen for your dog’s nose. The balm does not have any scent and is hypoallergenic so that it can be safely used by any dog breed with any sensitivity level to treat their individual physiological issues.
It is highly safe for pet use as it contains only organic, all natural ingredients, nothing synthetic or artificial is added. Rest assured that you no longer have to worry each and every time your dog licks the applied area.
This multifaceted moisturizer can be used for various problems, from wound healing, dry paws, itchy skin, to dry nose, even hyperkeratosis, to growing hot spots, and even bug bites. All you need to do to apply it is to use your fingers and rub the balm on the affected area twice or thrice in one day. It will be absorbed pretty quickly, and you should observe a visible difference after a few days of using it consistently. It is advised that for healthy paw pads, you use it only once a day.
Nourish and protects.
Dogs find the scent and taste appealing and lick it off. It requires a lot of reapplying. More expensive than other brands on this list.
Customers are positively raving optimistically about Pawstruck’s Organic Nose and Paw Wax Balm for Dogs based in Southern California. It claims to be applicable for use for canines of all breeds (especially ones with shorter snouts like pugs, pit bulls, bulldogs, boxers, mastiffs, etc.)and ages with no side-effects or risks whatsoever.
Ruff Relief is made up of a list of quality ingredients including all Organic Beeswax, Carnauba wax, Jojoba Wax Olive and Coconut oils, all of which are highly effective in moisturizing and protecting your pet’s paws. There’s also additional non-GMO vitamin E included which acts in the capacity of an antioxidant. This also aids in prolonging the shelf life of the oils in the manufactured goods.
You can use this grooming product to repair your dog’s dehydrated, chapped skin back to its healthy state. It also deals with hot spots, and even calms itching that is caused due to a rash, dermatitis, or even an allergy. Furthermore, this balm is organic, hypoallergenic and non-toxic, so you should be permitted to use it without fear of adverse reaction on both dogs and puppies.
Other than mending damaged paws, this paw lotion is suitable for other bodily zones including the nose, elbows, and wrinkles. To guarantee quality standards and safety for the client, Pawstruck’s balms are made solely in the US under the USDA regulations. Also, they have a US-based customer care team.
They claim to be an American- made brand, that sources and manufactures their merchandise employing exclusively premium elements designed specifically for canines. What’s more, it is licensed natural by Oregon Tilth for caregivers that are morally conscious.
Inexpensive price tag.
No soothing herbs infused in the formula.
Musher’s Secret Paw Protection Wax is the ultimate coating guard for your furry buddies tiny paws. This is a 100% wax- based cream that comprises of a strong wax. It is aimed to protect pet paws from numerous dangerous circumstances including pinching cold snow, sand, scorching hot pavements, slippery ice and prickly salt for those adrenaline-filled, super energetic and adventurous dogs. In the situation that your four-legged friend accompanies you on outdoor excursions in relatively harsher climates, this is the right protecting wax. It states that it is suitable for extra strenuous activities like hiking, mushing, trekking, and long walks.
It is produced using a combination of 100% natural pure Yellow and White Beeswax, Candelilla, and Carnauba Wax, vegetable and White oils. Apart from its obvious protecting elements, it is also embraces Vitamin E, which moisturizes and repairs any wounds. The best part is that it is pretty straightforward to use and all pure. This eliminates the worries related to canines licking and ingesting it in small quantities. Moreover, it is quick drying after it forms a semi-permeable defense shield.
Easy to apply
May cause redness and itchiness in dogs that have sensitive skin.
Paw Nectar Paw Wax is brimming with a lot of highly beneficial ingredients that work synergistically well to soothe and heal any dryness or cracks that may be hurting your dear fur baby. It consists of all natural and wholly organic materials, so you shouldn’t expect controversial, toxic, unsafe or artificial chemicals. Their proprietary balm formulation works ridiculously fast by deeply penetrating the problem area. It is put together in the US in upstate New York.
It is mostly made out of organic coconut and avocado oils, shea and cocoa butter that help in fighting against damaged paws, aloe vera, rosemary, and lavender oil that relax and heal your dog’s paws. Vitamin E exists to lengthen the product lifespan.
No protective wax included.
If you’re worried about getting an unverified balm then rest assured we’ve got your back. Dr. Joseph himself is a veterinarian with over 30 years of professional experience. Hence, to cater to the needs and wants of fur babies effectively he came up with the Paw and Nose Balm Wax for both cats and dogs. His advanced formula forms a shielding layer atop the dogs’ paws and noses. This helps to lock in the moisture and shelter from the burning sun, dangerous surfaces and perilous environments.
It can be tempting for dogs to lick off.
What is Dog Paw Balm
Since dogs spend most of their time running around, chasing squirrels, jumping up and down, playing fetch and generally romping around both indoors and outside, having healthy paws becomes a vital component of their life. Essentially Dog Paw Balm is a chemical substance that has been specifically designed to coat and protect your furry friend’s paws from a lot of different dangers and risks.
A dog’s paw is composed of skin, bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments, blood supply, and connective tissue all of which are crucial for active bodily functioning. But as tough as they may seem to be, their paw pads are not indestructible nor are they made of armour. They are vulnerable to hazards that range from unbearable weather conditions to infections and injuries via harsh landscapes.
Dry, cracked and battered paws are going to prove to be a problem for both you and your pet. It can leave your dog lethargic and prone to sleep for longer periods of time to avoid partaking in any activity that could add weight to their paws. Also, dogs are primarily outdoor creatures, harsh weather and environments shouldn’t be a barrier between your dogs and their freedom to go on walks or play outside.
Whether your dog is an adventurous character, or if spends he/she spends their days hiking rugged terrain, likes to race across stone pavements or if they just prefer to take a stroll through a park, their paws likely need some form of added protection.
Types of Dog Paw Balms:
There are numerous products in the market that you can procure to protect those adorable little paws. The first option is getting dog booties, the only downside is that most dogs cannot stand wearing them. It makes them feel awkward, they can’t walk comfortably in them and some simply kick them off the moment you slip them on. A balm can be a wonderful and convenient alternative to this dilemma.
- Paw butter
Why do you need to invest in dog paw balm
You may think that dog paw balm is another capitalist concoction that the Pet Industry has come up with, with no real purpose. This is not true, as paw balm serves a multitude of purposes. It is necessary that you safeguard your dog’s paws, and keep them in prime condition. They should be moisturised and kept free of infection in order to maintain their health, well-being, and comfort.
- When paws get dry, they might bleed or in worst case scenarios, crack. Damage to more than one paw means that the animal is severely handicapped and left at a disadvantage. This balm moisturises the paws so that the bleeding can be prevented and contained.
- Animals have limited cognitive awareness, and they love to lick their paws. Sometimes this action might result in the ingestion of toxic chemicals that dogs may step on whilst out for their walks
- Paw protection in severe climates is very important. Wintertime, in particular, presents more concerns with frostbitten toes, salt on the roads and slipping on icy streets. This wax forms a barrier that minimises any interaction with de-icers. These salts can hurt paw pads. People living and working with dogs in colder regions use paw protectors dutifully during the winter season.
- Underneath the blistering summer sun balms help to relieve the discomfort and pain, they repair the damage, they also moisturise and nourish the skin, rejuvenating it back to a healthier state.
- Dogs that are prone to being outside more often and are exposed to rough surfaces like gravel, asphalt and coarse pavements will have relatively much thicker, sturdier and rougher paw skin. Paw pads do give a dog’s feet limited protection when they are walking on rougher terrain.
However, those dogs that stay inside for the majority of their lifetime will have softer pads. If you have an indoor canine and it never walks outside on hot streets, its feet are going to blister or ulcerate immediately and painfully.
- Dogs will place most of their weight on their toes when they walk. This inadvertently means that the bones in their toes are exposed to a lot of different stressors and require an additional layer of protection to prevent them from spiraling into a detrimental state. Paw balm is one such solution that caters to this problem.
Buying Guide for Dog Paw Balm:
Being fully informed on how to choose the best Dog Paw Balm can seem to be tricky with so many products and brands circulating the market. As with any dog health/ grooming product, you need to select a high-quality, paw protection balm that is going to be safe and effective. These will be your weapon against hyperkeratosis, dry environments, whether in hot or cold weather and in the face of rough terrains. We’ve outlined the critical factors you need to consider before making the final purchase:
- Organic and Safe Ingredients:
The dog grooming product line is flooded with so many chemicals infused dog items nowadays. Rubbing on synthetic ingredients onto their skin isn’t something we would recommend. Opt for a product that is manufactured with natural, safe, wholesome, and organic ingredients. Deciding on more natural ingredients will prove to be beneficial for your dog in the long run.
Your best bet is to choose a brand that sells items without any harmful ingredients in them. Some of the ingredients that you should try your best to avoid are lidocaine, mineral oils, hydrocortisone, petroleum, zinc oxide, diclofenac, and calcipotriene. Although technically these may be safe for human use, they are extremely lethal for dogs. A few of the ingredients that are approved as safe for dog use include lavender oil, shea butter, coconut oil, vitamin E, beeswax, rosemary extract, etc. On the other hand, not all all-natural products are all that effective, as they may be too gentle and therefore useless. It is ideal to find USDA certified products.
- Ease of Application:
Keeping your dog standing still whilst you apply the product and using a product that sticks cannot be easy to find. You need to choose a paw balm that is easy and quick to apply.
- Healing Properties:
Hounds have a tendency to play rough and as a result, they are susceptible to lots of scrapes and bruises that can easily get infected. It can take weeks or months for the injuries to heal on their own, and watching your buddy wincing every day isn’t easy. Look for balms that contain ingredients that are designed to stimulate rapid healing.
- A defense mechanism against disease and infection:
As mentioned before, dogs spend most of the day venturing and exploring outside and therefore they may suffer from scratches and cuts quite often. This is especially the case when they are walking around barefoot atop dirt, shrubbery, foliage, etc. The likelihood that they will keep walking on their injury is very high, meaning that the site of the wound continually comes in contact with parasites and bacteria. The most important thing to avoid is the risk of getting an infection. Using a dog paw balm is the best substance to protect against most infections. This is because it can be used directly over the wound. After being applied it will seal and nourish the affected area.
- Moisturizing Elements:
Dry and cracked paws can bring your pooch a lot of pain and suffering. Some dogs are victims of a genetic condition known as hyperkeratosis i.e. the thickening of the skin on specifically on nose or paw pads. This situation occurs when too much keratin is being produced and leads to excessive, negative skin buildup. The skin is seen to become thick, hard and very dried out. To counter such ailments try to look for a paw balm that is packed with loads of soothing, moisturizing, and therapeutic ingredients. Keep an eye out for ingredients like natural kinds of butter and oils, to pump your pup’s paws the moisture they so desperately are in need of.
- Hot Weather-Proof:
The sensitive paws of dogs, when unprotected from heat, can cause them to suffer from sore calluses and lesions. Browse through balms that offer cooling and calming results.
- Cold Weather-Proof:
Depending on the breed of dog that you have at home, you will notice that some favor and thrive better in one season over the other. This generally boils down to their genetic heritage but could also be a result of the kind of weather and lifestyle that they have been exposed to for the extent of their lives. For dogs that are more suited to warmer conditions, you should be ready to supply them with safeguards like jackets, socks and booties, heated dog beds, and dog paw wax that will make your pup withstand the cold weather.
The Origins Of Dry And Cracked Dog Paw Pads:
- Chilling drops in temperature: Cold weather can cause the paws to quickly dry out, become scaly and crack when too much pressure is applied. Furthermore, during snowy conditions, sidewalks, parks, and roads are often covered with sand and salt, these may irritate the skin quite a lot.
- Scorching road surfaces: Blistering concrete and asphalt can prey on your dog’s feet. Test the temperature by touching the ground. If it is too hot for your hand to bear, you’ll know that it is too hot for your dog’s small adorable paws to tolerate too.
- An allergy: An allergic reaction can be activated by food sensitivities. This can lead up to itching and paw chewing. There is also the possibility that your dog comes into contact with chemicals such as paint, carpet and floor cleaners, toxic spillages, garden sprays, fertilizers, etc.
- Hyperkeratosis: This is predominantly a condition whereby a dog develops dry skin around its paws and nose as an outcome of excessive production of keratin.
- Sensitive paw disposition: Some dogs naturally host sensitive skin. As such, they are usually more likely to get dryness, mainly in the paws and snout regions.
- Zinc deficiency: There are breeds like Huskies, Great Danes, Poodles, Beagles, and German Shepherds that are more likely to possess zinc deficiencies. Inadvertently this may lead to dry and fractured paws.
Preventative tips and tricks against paw injury to keep your dog’s paws in tiptop shape:
- During the summer period, you should exercise your dog before peak noon times or preferably after sundown. This will help to avoid pad blistering and other heat-related ailments. Also to avert cold weather damage to your pooch’s paws, avoid going outside for extended periods of time. If you do want to venture out, apply appropriate balms, and cover their paws with boots and socks.
- Be extremely careful of where you walk your dog both indoors and outdoors. Do not walk them in areas where there could be shards of metal and glass on the ground or other hazardous materials. If you are hunting, camping or hiking in rough territories and in open fields, be on the lookout for weeds such as foxtails.
- Try to monitor your dog’s feet during exercise. Dogs who play ball and fetch with their owners on cement or asphalt are normally rushed to the veterinarian with ruptured blisters on their pads.
- Examine your dog’s paws meticulously after exploration time, Frisbee chasing, ball playing, walk around the block, hiking in the woods, and walks in a park. By doing so you can evade any unpleasant injuries.
- If your pet tries to lick the balm off his/her paws, distract them for a few minutes until it’s completely soaked in for the complete effect.
- If your dog is slipping around inside, you have applied too much. You need to work it gradually into the pad, also between the toes, and wipe off any excess with a paper towel.
The right application method:
- Balms are not lotions. They are designed to be a wax-based or oil-based serum that encapsulates the paw pads with a hydrophobic barrier. This wall of protection keeps water out, and retains natural healing kinds of butter within; ensure that it is in contact with the skin. This provides first-rate healing of cracked paws and hydration of tough calluses.
- Since balms are made of natural plant butter and natural waxes, the temperature of the product will affect its hardness. In order to make them easier to apply, especially during the winter time, they need to be stored at room temperature. Upon purchase during the winter, the balm will definitely be cold. This low temperate exposure will make the product solidify and appear a little hard to touch. Do not be alarmed as this hardness is exactly how the balm will care for your pup’s paws and keep them dry, cozy and warm. Just let it acclimate to room temperature and allow it enough time to soften up. If you are in a hurry to apply it you can place the container in a hot water bath for a couple of minutes to accelerate the acclimation process.
- Normally the top layer of most balms will be glossy. You should use your thumb or a sterilized instrument to pierce the top, glossy layer located in the center. Circle your tool or thumb for a couple of seconds and use your own thermal heat to warm the salve up.
- After you have successfully penetrated the center of the product, swirl the mixture. You can make use of your own thumb or fingers for some time in order to transmit your body heat into it via friction.
- After a while, you will notice that the texture of the balm will have converted into a soft and creamy state that is mushy to touch. This is when you can get applying as it is the optimum application temperature (approximately 90F).
We, groom, wash and brush our dog’s fur and coat, conscientiously check their teeth, eyes, and ears, but we often overlook the fact that we need to glance at the bottom of their paws. Their paws need some reprieve and caretaking every now and then. It is your duty to check their paws at the end of each day for any scrapes, or bruises and see if the paws are properly hydrated.
Dogs are no different from their human counterparts. Just like us normal people, they too enjoy a good massage every now and then. The ASPCA recommends that in order to promote healthy blood circulation in your dog’s nether regions, you should give them a gentle but pressurized massage all over the pads and the spaces in between their toes. Veterinarians advise that caretakers do dogs paw inspections as often as they possibly can. If a canine spends an excessive or abnormal amount of time licking his/her feet this could be a warning sign for an underlying issue. As such, pet parents must investigate the source of the irritant in order to determine if there is a particular reason behind this uncalled for behavior.
Dog Paw Balms are an investment and necessity for the long-term wellbeing of your beloved dog. As long as you stick to the guideline of buying an affordable, easy to apply, protection offering an effective balm, you can reap infinite benefits from this purchase. Each of the balms listed above has been carefully selected and reviewed for your guidance, so refer back to this article whenever you feel confused. Keep your pooch hydrated and happy with a good paw balm.